Thursday, June 3, 2010

Slither





















Inspired by Illustration Friday. This week's topic is "slither."

This is Kukulkan. I admit he didn't turn out as slithery as planned. He was a winged snake in Mayan mythology who was sometimes associated with the sun, fire, visions, and the rain god.

This piece was done entirely in Photoshop, with a stylus. I've been trying to do digital pieces that look like my old colored pencil drawings (a few pictures are in the post just before this one). I'm getting closer, but I'm not there yet. I think I'm on to something with the multiple layers of translucent color, though.

2 comments:

  1. (Sorry, it posted wird the first time)

    Nice interpretation. I should've thought of Quetzalcoatl or the similar serpent gods, but I't s been a long time since I last read up on north/south American mythologies. Good call there for Illustration Friday.

    Anyway, good interpretation, The feathers steal the show, and their uneven edges are my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I spent a lot of time on just that part.

    ReplyDelete