Friday, August 20, 2010

The Star

I've been working on a new digital piece this week, inspired by the Illustration Friday prompt last week, "Stargazing." I finished it too late to submit it, and anyway I'm not sure it's admissible, since IF recommends avoiding linking to "inappropriate material that may offend viewers." Having lived in Nevada most of my life (where I could throw a stone and probably hit someone who'd be offended by a handsome, naked man), I decided not to link to it from IF. Anyway, it wasn't quite done. But now it is!















It was inspired by the Oscar Wilde fairy tale, "The Star-Child." The title character is a beautiful but arrogant young man who wanders the world until he learns humility (greatly over-simplified retelling, feel free to check it out at http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/StaChi.shtml. It's wonderful, like all Wilde's fairy tales). I wanted to draw a beautiful and ethereal man, as untouchable as a star. I don't know how well I succeeded, but I enjoyed trying. I'm getting much better at making my digital art look like my pencil work. The hardest part is still getting the printer and the screen to show the same image.

No comments:

Post a Comment